|© Carrie Boyko|
Mom--My Grain-Free Food
Looks the Same as Original Organix!
|© Carrie Boyko|
Tanner Plugs His Packers!
Recently, seeing the data regarding grain in dog diets, I decided it was time to give grain-free a try. Fortunately Organix makes an organic, grain-free food. We were eager to try it, while still apprehensive about what may lay ahead. Here are a few of the things we noticed along the way:
- The trend in dog food manufacturing has been moving away from grains for some time, especially the lower-quality grains like corn.
- While reading a series of articles about a dog's digestive system, I learned that their shorter colon evolved this way because of their faster digestion and higher protein intake, as compared to that of humans. I'm no vet, and I don't profess to know if what I'm sharing is accurate. What I do know is that it all made sense to me. Dogs are scavengers, but generally are drawn to high-protein foods. What would happen if they subsisted on a diet largely of corn meal and chicken fat? I know that does not sound like a healthy diet to me.
- One day while picking up our Organix I took the time to read the label on the Grain-free version. Talk about a plethora of new information! While Tanner visited with 3 passersby of his own kind, I sat of the floor comparing the ingredients and nutritional analyses of the two bags. It didn't occur to me until I was almost done that I could just as easily have done this in the comfort of my home on the computer. Duh!
- No surprise to learn that the Organix grain-free formula is 4% higher in protein, but I did startle at the 2% reduction in fat content. That tells me something positive about the quality of that organic chicken at the top of the ingredients list.
- I expected that the grain-free version would be lower in fiber, and that anticipation was supported by the label. That worried me. Would my dogs be constipated? Would they require more water? The reality is that their daily constitutions have not changed one iota. Why? Good question! The moisture in both formulas is the same, so there was no make-up in that department.
- Will I jinx our success with one really positive remark? Hope not. Tanner and Oliver have been sleeping noticeably more soundly. Don't get me wrong; they're not without energy. Far from that! They do, however, seem less easily prompted to excitement--calmer. I can totally buy into that side effect!
|© courtesy CastorPolluxPet.com|
P.S. Who will be joining us for the Super Dog Sunday NFL-themed photo contest or the #SuperDogPics Twitter Party? We've raised a chunk of money for Petfinder Foundation and will be celebrating big time! Feel free to join with a small donation at this link.