|Can I Get Away With This Spot?|
- Teach your dogs to settle down on a mat, where they can enjoy a chew toy or stuffed Kong. I like to help dogs figure this task out on their own using a clicker training process called shaping. There's a great book all about shaping dogs to lie on a mat called Fired Up, Frantic and Freaked Out (sound like your dogs?). I recommend it to almost all of my clients. When you're done, your dogs will run to their mats and settle down no matter where they are. It's nearly fool proof.
- Teach your dogs to go to a designated spot and stay there when someone comes to the door. Guess what? You can use the mat for this too. Guest arrives - dog stays while guests move to the living area - dog greets guest - mat moves to the living room where the dogs settle again. No nipping. The dogs were on a "stay" on their mats. Done.
|Used with Permission from|
Robyn Arouty Photography
Michael Baugh CDBC, CPDT-KSA is a dog trainer in Houston TX. He specializes in fearful and aggressive behavior in dogs.
Want to read more of Michael's posts? Check out the whole list here or just click on these:
- House Training Using Puppy Pads
- Help Us With Our Whining Greyhound
- Working with Barrier Frustration
- Target Train to Solve Problems
- Velcro Dog