Ultimate Respect for the Food Delivery
This series has been a long time coming. While I've yammered on about our lifestyle and offered tips over the years, I'd like to pull it all together into a series of posts that share why we choose to feed our dogs an organic food, live a greener lifestyle, and tread a littler lighter on our planet--all with a food slant, of course.
This all sounds really New Age; I know. It's your choice to move on or stay with me, and maybe learn something you had not considered. I'd like to hear your comments and questions, and most certainly I'm going to disclaim that I'm not the ultimate expert. Quite honestly, no one is. There are many opinions and I respect them all. These are simply the ones I employ. Here's an outline of the topics I'll be covering in this series, though not necessarily in the order I'll present them:
- What got us started on this path. I think you'll want to read this!
- Semantics in pet food labels: conventional recipes, certified organic vs. USDA organic, natural, grain-free, gluten-free, holistic, raw. I'll explore the definitions and the realities--err lack of definitions--as well as the ways in which these words have real meaning in other ways.
- Ingredients and the popular culture in dog food: wild ingredients, weight management, grain free and holistic foods
- Investigative journalism: the causes of cancer and other chronic and life-shortening illnesses and conditions.
- A little definition work in reading dog food labels. Don't eat before you read this post, but commit to learning a few things you'd wished you knew before.
- Why Certified Organic was our choice. Again; this one will surprise you.
- Tips for saving money on your higher-end pet food.
- Why a better pet food will add years to your dog's life.
- Helpful tips for switching foods with calm digestive systems
- Recipes and tips for making organic treats for your dog
- Some thoughts on recalls to make you think. Don't miss this!
- An introduction to Dick Patten's Natural Balance Organic formula, as well as some highlights of their other products such as cat foods, treats and zoo formulas.
- Extending your high-end food with other ingredients you'd like to add; how NOT to overfeed your dog.
- Let's have some fun with a contest! What can you win? That's a surprise :)