Fall is Here!
Our kids are back to school and the pups are now left behind to linger around the house. How do you keep Fido busy when their favorite playmates have taken off to class for the day? Here are a few tips:
- Start with a healthy breakfast and use feeding as an opportunity for classtime for your pup. Ask for a 'Sit' and a 'Leave it', until you've cleaned up and have everything ready to go. It's nice to prepare a meal without your dog jumping all over you, and he'll learn great lessons of patience from waiting for your signal to 'Take it'.
- Don't skip the morning walk. This will soothe separation anxiety and tire Fido out so he'll sleep the morning away.
- While you're away from your dog, leave a frozen Kong or other sturdy stuffable toy, filled and frozen with favorite healthy yummies. I like to layer these to create a game of exploration, as each new layer reveals a different taste sensation. Don't forget to include a layer of kibble or treats to add some crunch to the frozen deliciousness. These 'Busy Bones', as I like to call them, will kill time, soothe anxiety and take care of the urge to chew.
- Once you're home and can supervise, carefully select and offer toys for playtime and to encourage curiosity. Change it up a bit by offering different toys, hiding them, or using games that encourage problem-solving.
- At the end of the day when your kids have returned home, give them a break from school and have them walk the dog. This will be good for both to unwind, reunite and bond.
- Finally, evening is a time of boredom for many pups, as kids pursue their homework. This is the perfect time to toss in a few minutes of training. When no time is available, have your kids do their reading aloud to the dog. My dogs love to be read to. Try it and be sure to report back on how yours enjoys this activity. And what about the kids? Did you find they were less stressed when reading to Rover than if they read aloud to you?
- Choose from Castor and Pollux Organix or Natural Ultramix pet food, 15 pounds per winner.
- I'll toss in 3 dog training videos to give you some ideas and problem solving approaches. Make sure your kids take time to enjoy these also.
- Finally, there's a toy, leash or grab bag in each package, to help make this time of year a bit easier on you and Fido.
You can enter this giveaway below in the Rafflecopter entry form. If it doesn't appear there, simply click on the title to refresh and it will return from its hiding place. Good luck to you all and enjoy your back to school journey.