|© All Things Dog Blog|
Warm Belly on a Cool Floor
Now is the time to start planning for the warmer weather ahead, to assure you don't overheat or dehydrate your dog. A few tips will easily deal with even the hottest of Summer days:
- Leave water out for free drinking all day, replenishing as needed.
- Skip walking on paved areas during the heat of the day, so as to protect the pads of your dog's feet.
- Add ice cubes to the water upon return from a walk. Most dogs enjoy this pleasurable chill to their otherwise room temperature water.
- Offer a treat to bring blood sugar back into line after particularly taxing exercise sessions. During the heat of Summer a frozen treat is my favorite way to offer a quick fix.
- When walking during the heat of the day is necessary, choose sidewalks or grassy areas and hose your dog down before leaving to keep his body temperature well within range.
- For dogs who dislike a nice shower as described above, offer a soft ice pack wrapped in a rolled bandana. Worn around the neck, this chilling ice pack will help keep body temperature lower.
- Returning to a swim or just a dip in a play pool will cool off your furry friend quickly. The hose can be an option as well.
- When hiking longer distances, take water along for your dog, just as you would for yourself.