Not surprisingly, dog's schedules can be manipulated much like ours. It's all about when and how much they eat. If you're interested in modifying Rover's schedule to fit better into your days, here's a plan you can try. It worked great for Oliver (but don't tell him I said anything).
Once Daily Feeding Schedules
Many dog owners feed their dog on a once a day schedule. Some experts still believe this is fine, given the slower digestion of a dog's system. If you have chosen this schedule, you can shift his usual bathroom run by an hour or two at a time, simply by:
- feeding an hour or two later to get a later result, or
- feeding an hour or two earlier to get an earlier result.
- After taking the above action for a few days, let the new bathroom habits settle in for a week or so and then...
- modify his food amount.
- In other words, if you want an earlier-still result, feed him a bit more to jump-kick his digestive system.
- By doing this, you'll get a little quicker action--generally. Of course, this may take a few days, so be patient.
- If you're worried about Rover's waistline, use green beans as filler for the added volume.
P.S. Oliver is a bit miffed with me over this post. It certainly wasn't meant to embarrass him. Lucky for him, it isn't his picture up there on top!
Visit Adopt a Dog Park
Follow All Things Dog at Twitter Find me at Facebook
© copyright Carrie Boyko, all rights reserved
Bookmark this on Delicious