Steps in Teaching Fetch:
- Pick a toy which your dog is enthusiastic about playing with, and which is suitable for a fetch game. It must have enough weight that you will be able to throw it a fair distance.
- Dog must master a brief "Sit, Stay". Give verbal praise.
- Owner throws the toy and with eye contact, gives the "fetch" command.
- Dog runs to get the toy. If he runs toward the toy, give verbal praise and encouragement. If he picks up the toy, get even more boisterous with your praise.
- Goal is to get the dog to return the toy and drop it at owners feet. Praise and a treat are earned when this occurs.
- Eventually, fetch games can move into advanced disciplinary tools like:
- "Leave it" command asks dog to stay until you give fetch command, even after toy is thrown.
- Multiple toys can be learned by name and thrown. Dog is asked to fetch the correct toy by name. This game is lots of fun when your dog has an audience. He gets a chance to show off; He knows the names of his toys!